MIAD highly suggests the MacBook Pro as the best laptop for your career as a student and professional. Please refer to the FAQ section to answer some of your questions or concerns about owning a MacBook Pro. The following link will take you to MIAD’s Apple store page where you can purchase the suggested MacBook Pro.
PC laptops are also acceptable choices, but there is no discount program set up, and the system capabilities, such as graphics card and RAM, may not meet the requirements of the software.
The following are hardware requirements* for PC users:
- Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD Athlon® 64 processor (Intel Core™2 Duo or AMD Phenom® II recommended); Intel Core 2 Duo or AMD Phenom II required for Adobe® Premiere® Pro
- Processor with 64-bit support required for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects®
- Microsoft® Windows® XP with Service Pack 3; Windows Vista® Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise with Service Pack 1 (Service Pack 2 recommended); or Windows 7
- 64-bit edition of Windows Vista or Windows 7 required for Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects
- 2GB of RAM (4GB or more recommended)
- 24.3GB of available hard-disk space for installation; additional free space required during installation (cannot install on removable flash-based storage devices)
- 1280×900 display (1280×1024 recommended) with qualified hardware-accelerated OpenGL graphics card, 16-bit color, and 256MB of VRAM*Please see technology service department if you have any questions about the requirements.
External Hard Drive Suggested (backup drive)
One more very important piece of hardware to own is an external hard drive. No computer is perfect, and even those users that take exceptional care of their laptop experience problems from time to time. It is up to you as a student to back-up your files and make sure that hardware issues do not set you back. There are dozens of external hard drives available on the market, and they can format for both Mac and PC platforms. Please choose one with enough space to keep all your saved files. Terrabyte hard drives are huge and affordable. An average design student can create gigabytes of files in one semester, so to ensure you have enough space for all your files, images, and entertainment, a terrabye drive is recommended.
Please continue on: