October is a busy month. The FAFSA is now available, and parents and students may begin the process of securing financial aid.
Also, registration for Spring 2020 classes begins the week of November 11, and students should begin to prepare now.
Students who will attend MIAD in the fall of 2020 can begin the process of securing financial aid now at www.fafsa.gov. Here is an overview of the FAFSA filing and financial aid timeline:
- Students should file a 2020-2021 FAFSA for financial aid for the 2020-2021 academic year using your 2018 IRS tax return info.
- The IRS Data Retrieval tool allows you to import 2018 tax data directly from the IRS. MIAD strongly encourages all FAFSA applicants to use this tool, as it provides the most accurate data.
- The Department of Education randomly selects one out of every three FAFSA applicants for “Verification.” If your student is selected for verification, they will receive an email from the Financial Aid Office asking for specific documentation required to complete verification. Using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool on the FAFSA to import your 2018 federal tax information will simplify the verification process.
- If you utilize the Parent PLUS loan to cover the outstanding balance for tuition and fees at MIAD or Room and Board expenses, you must apply for the PLUS loan each year. The Department of Education must perform an annual credit check to confirm eligibility. The application for a Parent PLUS loan is available online at studentloans.gov after April 15, 2020.
MIAD’s Financial Aid Office can assist you and your student through the 2020-2021 financial aid process. Please contact the Financial Aid Office with any questions.
Spring 2020 Registration
- Encourage your student to check their email regularly. Registration information will be sent to them on October 21.
- Ask your student when they will meet with their advisor to review registration materials.
- Make sure your child’s account is up to date. Outstanding balances may affect their spring registration. Contact the Business Office with questions or concerns.