You can support your student and encourage them to finish the semester strong by engaging in a conversation about their experiences.
Questions for First-Year Students
The First-Year Experience (FYE) curriculum at MIAD provides all first-year students with a basic foundation of skills and knowledge as they transition into their major.
- How are you managing time to finish projects?
- What are you doing well to be successful in your classes?
- What are your challenges?
- How are you/are you using the Learning Resource Center (LRC) as a tool for your academic success?
- What are you most excited about at MIAD?
Questions for Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors
- How are you connecting class work to work you’d like to do professionally?
- What has given you more confidence since last semester?
- What is a challenge right now?
- As assignments and projects take up more of your time, how are you practicing self-care?
- How are you using the Open Lab and MIAD Innovation Center for your projects and professional work?
New this year are comprehensive registration information sessions provided by the Registrar’s Office. The information sessions provide students the information and tools needed to make informed decisions and to plan their upcoming schedules. A representative from all majors is available at the information sessions for any registration questions. Please encourage your student to participate. If your student has questions about registration, please encourage them to contact Megan Cunningham (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Jean Weimer (email@example.com) from the Registrar’s office.
Please also remind your student to connect with their advisor after Spring Break to schedule their next advising session. Your student and their advisor will review midterms and revise success plans for completing the semester. If your student has questions about advising and academic programs, please encourage them to contact the Director of Advising, Alea Cross (firstname.lastname@example.org).